Saturday, October 24, 2009


From afternoon until beyond the sun's setting: an autumn hike at Interstate State Park with girl friends from the MFA program. On this 2.5 mile trail (1.25, technically, one-way): the St Croix river, a location geologists claim should have cleaved the continent in two so many years ago; the strangeness of glacial potholes; bur oaks and red juniper, identified with my new little guide; smooth stone stairs and well worn wooden slats, slick with rotting leaves; my own body slickening beneath heavy wool sweater and wool socks; that numb-toes feeling in hiking boots; contemplating woodsy poems; everything blurred edges. For many, many more images from this hike, all favorites, check out this post on my field | work blog.

1 comment:

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

A blog of walks. What a wonderful idea, Molly. I dabbled in identifying trees while we were up north this summer. I liked the deeply furrowed trunk of the Douglas fir and the sharp scent of the California Bay Laurel leaf. I think I'll follow your lead and look into finding a book of Northern California trees.