Friday, October 23, 2009


Late lunchtime, first major snow of the academic year. It began as rain, then rainy slush, and now it's slushy snow. We went to Colville Park, and, taking advantage of being the only ones there, I let the dogs off their leashes. In the woods, I could hear that shush of snow-in-leaves and a few times got jumpy, thinking that thick plop was someone behind us. A few crows, green grass beneath snow, still vibrant oranges and reds in the trees, Penelope's snail trails through the lawn, calling the dogs back, that doggie grin that is like nothing else in the world, wet paws, dragging a slush rock in my pants cuff, my eyebrows icy caterpillars, the silence of snow while waiting beneath a bridge. To see the full set of pictures, which really are delightful (you'll see why I cursed myself for the limit of one-a-walk), see this post my my field | work blog.

No comments: